Nothing says “I’m on a diet” like a sad, boring salad. It is really easy to get burnt out on salads when you are trying to lose weight, especially if you keep making the same one over and over. By adding variety and mixing up the ingredients you can make a healthy salad that is anything but a big bowl of boring lettuce. Put some zip back in your salads with these easy tips and ideas:
- Mix up the greens: Try romaine, green leaf, red leaf, butter, Swiss chard, kale, shredded field greens, spring mix, baby spinach, arugula or even shredded Brussels’s sprouts.
- Add some crunch: Try almonds, walnuts, cashews, water chestnuts, apple chunks, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds.
- Include a protein: Mix in Chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, chicken, tuna fish, salmon, hardboiled egg, tofu. Meat can be fresh, canned, smoked, or in a pouch.
- Vary your cheese: Try feta, goat, gorgonzola, shredded cheddar, or shaved parmesan.
- Add some sweetness: Try strawberries, pomegranate seeds, pear or apple slices, or dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, or mango.
- Load up on vegetables: Include shredded carrots, radishes, red pepper slices, red onion, jicama, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, peas, pepperoncinis, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli florets, and sprouts.
- Add some grains: Bulgur, quinoa, farro, wheat berries are a great way to add some fiber and filler to your salads, especially if you are vegan or vegetarian.
- Make your own salad dressing: combine olive oil with different types of vinegar (red wine, balsamic, white balsamic, raspberry infused) or fresh squeezed lemon juice. Add chia seeds for extra fiber and heart healthy fats. Try adding fresh herbs for even more flavor.
- Taco salad with ground turkey, salsa, black beans, corn, shredded cheddar, a dollop of light sour cream, and a few crushed tortillas
- Asian salad with grilled chicken, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, red pepper slices, water chestnuts, and Panera’s Asian dressing, Makato’s Ginger dressing, or make your own
- Greek salad with chicken, peperoncinis, olives, feta cheese, and red onion
- Mixed greens with pumpkin seeds, gorgonzola, shredded carrots, red onion, chickpeas
- Spinach with strawberry slices, walnuts, goat cheese, red onions, and hearts of palm
Be well my friends and don’t eat boring salads,